Saturday 17 July 2010

Book Review from Mad Bibliophile: We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson


A gothic tale about isolation with one of the most unsettling opening paragraphs of any chiller:

My name is Mary Katherine Blackwood. I am eighteen years old, and I live with my sister Constance. I have often thought that with any luck at all I could have been born a werewolf, because the two middle fingers on both my hands are the same length, but I have had to be content with what I had. I dislike washing myself, and dogs, and noise. I like my sister Constance, and Richard Plantagenet, and Amanita phalloides, the deathcup mushroom. Everyone else in my family is dead.

Read the short review from Mad Bibliophile here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.